An Evening with Rise of the Rocket Girls Author Nathalia Holt
Saturday, March 18
Golden Valley High School, 27051 Robert C. Lee Parkway
- Reception and Book Sale – 6:15 – 6:45 pm
- Author Talk – 7:00 pm
- Author Signing and Book Sale – 8:00 – 8:30 pm
You won’t want to miss this free author appearance appealing to both those who’ve read our One Story book and those who plan to! Nathalia Holt will discuss her inspiration for Rise of the Rocket Girls and answer audience questions. A signing will follow. Books will be available to purchase on site from Barnes & Noble, or bring your own copy. Come early to mingle prior to Holt’s talk, and enjoy light refreshments.
JPL as an Innovative Workplace:
A Panel Discussion and Meet and Greet with JPL employees, past and present!
Thursday, March 16, 6:30 – 9:00 pm
Old Town Newhall Library
Six Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) employees – including several “rocket girls,” project managers, a marketing specialist and an archivist who helped author Nathalia Holt with her research – will answer questions submitted by library customers and students. An informal Q&A session will follow along with the chance to meet and greet our panelists while enjoying light refreshments. Copies of the book Rise of the Rocket Girls will be available to purchase on site from Barnes & Noble.
|More Adult Programs|
“It’s in the Numbers” Art Exhibit and Reception
Saturday, March 4, 6:00-9:00 pm
Santa Clarita City Hall, 23920 Valencia Blvd.
Come and view art inspired by numbers and the JPL “rocket girls” who were human computer math whizzes. A free event with refreshments and entertainment! Sponsored by the City of Santa Clarita’s Arts and Events Division.
“The Oscar in Space” Movie Series
Monday evenings in March, 7:00 pm
The Repertory East Playhouse, 24266 Main Street
Celebrate real and fictional space heroes featured in Oscar-nominated films. Attend the free showings held every consecutive Monday evening in March at a beautiful local theater. Sponsored by the City of Santa Clarita’s Arts and Events Division.
- The Right Stuff – Monday, March 6
- Apollo 13 – Monday, March 13
- Gravity – Monday, March 20
- The Martian – Monday, March 27
Basics of Rockets/Rocketry
With Teresa Ciardi, Professor of Physical Science and Astronomy/College of the Canyons
Wednesday, March 15, 6:30 pm
Explore the basics behind sending a rocket into space in this fun, interactive family presentation. This program will be of interest to teens and adults; recommended for grades 4 and up.
Stellar Family Fun Day @ Barnes & Noble (All Ages)
Saturday, March 18, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
Valencia Barnes & Noble, 23630 Valencia Blvd.
Take part in a multitude of fun activities presented by bookstore staff and our local children’s librarians: storytime, crafts, hands-on play and demonstrations of STEM activities, and a chance to check out amazing robotics presented by local girls robotic team Heat It Up and Keep It Cool. Check Barnes & Noble’s online calendar for specific event times.
|JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) Tours|
As anyone who has gone on a JPL tour knows, they are wonderful opportunities to see the Pasadena facility up close. We are happy to announce the Library has secured two May 2017 tours. Participants in One Story One City who are 18 or older can take part in free drawings for spaces on one of these:
Monday, May 8, 2017 – 1:00 – 3:30 pm
Friday, May 12, 2107- 1:00 – 3:30 pm
Here’s how to enter the drawings:
- Come to one of our Library branches between Wednesday, March 1 and Wednesday, March 22, to fill out a form telling us why you liked the book, Rise of the Rocket Girls, or why it interests you. Please only fill out the form once. Multiple entries will be disqualified. Twelve pairs of spaces will be awarded entrants at each branch. Participants will be picked and notified by Friday, March 24, 2017.
- For event drawings you can also attend our author event, “An Evening with Rise of the Rocket Girls Author Nathalia Holt,” or our JPL panel event, “JPL as Innovative Workplace.” One pair of spaces will awarded an attendee at each program.
Important tour info:
- Those awarded tour spots may bring another adult, or even a guest between the ages of 10-18 if they wish. They must however, accompany any minor guest.
- The Library will need confirmation of attendance, including full names of participants and guests, to send to JPL by Wednesday, April 5, 2017. We cannot add names to the tour or change names of tour attendees after that date per Federal security requirements.
- Tour attendees will need to provide their own transportation to JPL and will need to bring valid identification for the tour per JPL rules.
- All JPL rules regarding their tours will apply. Familiarize yourself with them.
- Tours involve walking and climbing stairs. They are presented in English. Cameras are allowed.
|Exhibits and More|
It’s All in the Numbers
First Floor Gallery in City Hall
23920 Valencia Blvd.
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
March 1 through March 31, 2017
Looking for a dose of extra inspiration after reading about the women known as “human computers” and “rocket girls?” Swing by “It’s All in the Numbers” exhibition displayed at the First Floor Gallery in City Hall. The art exhibit featuring a variety of themes including numbers, math, and rocket science will be on display until Friday, March 31.
Space Age Memories Exhibit
Stop over at the Canyon Country Library to view an exhibit of space and JPL-related memorabilia. View it in our display cases from March 1 – March 31.
Rocket into History
What are your favorite memories of the U.S. Space Program? From watching Neil Armstrong plant a flag on the moon, to seeing what Mars really looks like, we’d love for you to share your recollections with us. Each library will be filling a wall with “rockets” blasting off with your contributions. Look for the display and take part. We may even feature your memory on our social media sites!
Love to post to Pinterest boards and peruse those of others? You’ll want to check out the library’s boards related to our One Story One City book and themes.